Choosing a Lender
Here are some tips on finding and selecting a lender and loan officer to represent and guide you through the mortgage loan process:
- Talk with trusted advisors (for example family, friends, or your accountant) to see if they have mortgage lenders they would recommend.
- Speak to a licensed real estate agent since they generally have long term relationships with one or more lenders.
- Ensure that the lender is willing to provide you with a free pre-qualification.
- To learn about a lender that you want to work with ask the loan officer for their company's NMLS#.
- Don’t be afraid to shop around and get estimates from multiple lenders. Each lender offers different interest rates and different loan programs, by getting multiple estimates you’ll be able to see which will offer you the best terms on your mortgage.
- Contact your the financial institution where you keep your checking or savings accounts.